Richard DANIEL b.1800

 

H & R Daniel

 

Makers of the finest late Regency Porcelain

Richard DANIEL 1800 - 1884

 

Richard DANIEL was born in March 1800 to Henry DANIEL and Elizabeth DANIEL (nee) DYER. He followed his father to Spode and it is believed he was an apprentice to Henry, and eventually held a position of chemist and enamel colour maker.

 

After Henry left Spode in 1822, it is not clear what became of Richard until he re-joined his father and then became a co-partner in the Daniel company in 1824, which afterwards became H & R DANIEL. From records it is known that in 1825 Richard was in London securing orders for the company. In a letter sent to his father he recounts 'If you can by any means get four or six good flower painters do I conjure you. I have sold eight of the very best desserts yesterday to Daniell & Palmer besides lower priced ones the whole order will come to £400.'

 

The business at this time was so successful that in 1829 Richard is recorded as taking a residence at Porthill. Simeon SHAW wrote at this time: 'overlooking Longport, and a considerable portion of the district, is Porthill, the beautiful and almost sequestered residence of Mr R. Daniel, (of the firm H. & R. D. of Stoke) a gentleman equally esteemed for the virtues of his heart, and the stores of his mind'.

 

In 1830, Richard was married in London and returned to the potteries in 1832 with his wife Charlotte and daughter Emily. In 1839 Richard set up on his own as an earthenware manufacturer, independent of his father, at the Hanley Works, High Street Hanley, and at the Waterloo Pottery in Burslem, whilst still holding his share within the family business. Both ventures were only short lived and closed in 1841. After the death of Henry in 1841 it would be expected that Richard would have taken over the running of the firm of H and R Daniel, however, Henry’s will appears to show that all was not well with the relationship between these two. In the will it states that Richard was to receive Henry’s 'large looking glass and a New Testament by the Reverend William Burkett. He is to receive nothing else and no share in residue'. On the contrary he would either need to find the money to purchase his fathers share in the business or take on a partner. Richard's brother John was to receive: 'a piece of land in Union Street, Shelton, the portraits of Henry's father and mother and a Bible and Testament, a desk and book case and one third share of the residue'. John was also to receive: 'all receipts for making china and earthenware bodies and also for making glazes and enamel colours together with all other papers, documents and receipts of a similar nature and all benefit and advantages which may arise therefrom'. Rather than Richard making the obvious choice of going into full partnership with John, it is recorded that he formed a partnership with Nathaneal SOLOMEN. The company of H and R DANIEL finally closed in 1846.

 

From records held, Richard had many other business interests including a partnership in F. COGHILL and Co. China, Glass and Earthenware Dealers of Glasgow, and in 1846 as a Director on the management committee of the North Union, Trent Valley and Midland Counties Junction and Macclesfield, Warrington and Liverpool Direct Railways.

 

In early 1847 it appears that Richard finally overstretched himself financially and was declared insolvent and sent to debtors prison. Following his release from prison on 18th December 1847 (London Gazette 4516), Richard went back into production at Boothen Road, Stoke. Richard remained there until 1854 when production ceased. Richard was later employed in the Hill Pottery Company where he was works manager in 1866.

 

Richard died in London, 1884.

 

 

With reference to:

H & R DANIEL 1822-1846 Michael Berthoud

STAFFORDSHIRE PORCELAIN Geoffrey Godden

LONDON GAZETTE

Henry DANIEL's will.